Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The misunderstood sprout

I think brussel sprouts have gotten a bad rap. When most people think sprouts I'm pretty sure they conjure up and image of a grayish, mushy, steamed or boiled thing. Poor brussel spout! They really are so delicious if you just cook them right! I'd say they are one of my top 5 favorite veggies and in the fall and winter when they are at their best I cook them almost weekly. This is one way to cook them quickly and simply and really bring out the best in these tasty little gems. Do try and grab the smallest ones you see. They are the most tender and they also cook the fastest. Unfortunately I don't have a solid quantity to suggest...basically a handful per person.

Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees
To trim the sprouts take a paring knife and slice off the "root" end. The outer leaves will just fall right off and that's about all you need to do to prep them
If the sprout is super tiny (marble sized) then leave it whole, but if it's a little bigger maybe slice it in half lengthwise
place the sprouts in the dish you intend to roast them in and toss them with a tablespoon or so of good extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. As you toss the sprouts some leave may fall off, but that's ok. They will become extra browned and extra delish
* I think now is a good time to tell you how I feel about salt and pepper. I really don't bother with table salt and that flaky "pre-ground" pepper stuff. I wholeheartedly believe in good quality sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. It makes all the difference in cooking. I have a wonderful pepper grinder that I fill with whole corns, but the disposable, pre-filled grinders you find in the spice isle are great too!
Roast the sprouts at 425 degrees for about 25-30 minutes until cooked through and browned
If you like toss with a little butter before serving, but I think they will be just fine as is
If you think you don't like sprouts please give these a try. I think you'll change your mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment